
President Goodluck Jonathan has again assured Nigerians that despite the shift in the 2015 polls, May 29, handover day remains sacrosanct.
He gave the assurance tonight during media chat with Journalists in Aso Rock.
The president also urged politicians to shun divisive antics that could destroy the nation. He said he had never interfere in the activities of the Indepedent National Independent Commission, INEC.
Jonathan while stressing that the INEC remains independent said in 2011 when the electoral body cancelled poll mid-way, he was never consulted adding that he had already travelled to his village when the poll was cancelled.
On abducted Chibok girls, the president expressed confidence that the girls will be rescued urging Nigerians to support the military in the rescue mission. He flayed the international dimension the protest of the abducted girls had taken adding that such global agitation would do little in the rescue efforts.
Jonathan also corrected a statement credited to him that “Stealing his not corruption”. He explained that he only quoted former ICPC boss, Justice Mustapha Akanbi who said most of the corrupt cases were only cases of stealing.
According to him, he said a blanket use of the word corruption did not carry the import of ghe heinous offences committed. He said a thief should be labelled a thief and not say he is corrupt.
On the fight against insurgency, the president said his administration had been doing all its best to contain it. He said with the renewed effort to flush out the criminals, the insurgency will soon be over.
Jonathan also dismissed insinuations that he he will not relinquish power if he loses the election. He described such insinuation as unnecessarily saying not stops him from leaving office he loses the election.
On the botched Boko Haram ceasefire agreement, the president said the government was not swindled as being reported in a section of the media.