Minister of Finance and the coordinating minister for the economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has assured participants who would be attending the World Economic Forum, Africa which will kick off on Wednesday, May 7 in Abuja of adequate security.
It would be recalled that prospective participants especially foreign delegates had expressed concerns over their safety in the light of recent terrorist attacks in the nation’s capital Abuja.
As part of the measure to ensure adequate security during the well publicized event, President Goodluck Jonathan last week ordered all Federal agencies, schools including private companies to shut down for three day that the event will last.
The minister of finance gave the assurance today in Abuja during a World Press Conference.
Okonjo- Iweala said, “ Seciruty is paramount, the number of security operatives that will be working is huge. You will recalled yesterday during the Presidential Media Chat, President Goodluck Jonathan assured on adequate security arrangement, workers had been asked to stay at home to strengthen security in the city”.
On the education sector, the minister said the government had robust inclusive plans in collaboration with private sector.
The former World bank boss also boasted that the nation’s economy is one of the best in the world adding that foreign investors had expressed confidence in Nigeria as the first ivestment destination in the continent.
“Macro- economic stability in any country is what investors look at. We have reserve that is strong. Nigeria has strong macro- economic stability, the minister boasted.
Okonjo- Iweala also played out the much hyped agriculture revolution in the country and other sectors of the economy. She further informed that the government was set to explore other mineral resources that have remained untapped for years.
“We see opportunity in Agriculture, manufacturing, we have the housing sector as well. Companies are falling on themselves to harness these opportunities. There are 33 other solid mineral that have been tapped”, she stressed.
On the fight against terrorism, the minister said the government was open to assistance from international bodies and foreign nations in curbing the menace that has almost ground the nation to a halt. ‘ We are open to international cooperation. We welcome any country that is willing to help us tackle terrorism’, she said.
Okonjo appealed to Abuja residents and business owners to bear with the Federal Government over the 3-day sit home order. She argued that there were economic benefits for the city saying that most of the hotels in the city had been fully booked by participants and foreign delegates from all over the world.
