
At least the ruling Peoples Democratic Party and 15 other political parties have kicked against the use of card readers for the March 28 and April 11 General elections.
Addressing journalists in Abuja, the parties said the concept of using card readers for this coming elections as being planned by INEC, has a lot of implications which may negatively impact on the conduct of a credible, free and fair elections on March 28 and April 11.
The spokesman of the political parties and national chairman of the Advanced Congress of Democrats (ACD) Dr Onwubuya Break forth, said the first drawback, is that the device is relatively a new technology that has not been tested or tried either in a mock or formal elections before this time.
“Therefore, we the concerned group of leaders of political parties, presidential candidates, governorship and National Assembly candidates, hereby request INEC to stop forthwith, the proposed use of the card reader for this March 28 and April 11 general elections or we may consider boycotting the election,” he said.
He further argued that delaying the introduction the card reader would enable the nation and the electoral umpire itself, to properly ascertain its workability and efficiency in the conduct of the real general elections.
“Moreover, if the card reader should develop some technical problems, there is a possibility that the consequences of such development would affect about 40 (forty) or 50 (fifty) per cent of the polling booths nationwide.
“Because of the tendency of the card reader device to develop some technical fault any time during the voters accreditation process, that was the reason why all the Political Parties agreed with INEC recently, that the election should be postponed in polling booths where a substantial number of card reader defaults were recorded because it would disrupt the entire election process.
“As major stakeholders in this election process, we suggest that the easiest method of accreditation and verification of PVS, should be for INEC to use manual confirmation of the pictures and particulars or data of the PVC holders to ensure that it corresponds with the voters register with the electoral officers in the polling units and in front of the party agents. This way, it will minimize the obvious chances of voters disenfranchisement.
“We the stakeholders are not saying that an improved and faster technology should not be used to achieve development in the electoral process, but it should not be in the general elections. The PVCs have already solved a lot of these problems.
“We also want INEC to respond to this emergency and also within 24 hours, approve our request because time is of the essence. This positive response is necessary so that we would be able to meet the demands of our party members and majority of the Nigerian voters who have expressed great anxiety and concern over this matter.
“Since Prof Attahiru Jega has shown lack of professionalism and good judgement in his actions so far in the conduct of the 2015 elections and since he has about three months to the end of his tenure as INEC Chairman, we the stakeholders urge him to quietly consider proceeding on terminal leave so that a more competent person can handle the current election process”.
The political parties leaders who signed the statement unbehalf of the parties include, the national chairman of the MEGA Progressive Peoples Party (MPPP), Prince Dare Falade, Presidential Candidate , Peoples Party of Nigeria, (PPN), Prince Dr Kelvin Chinedu Opumu Alagoa and Dr. Rafiu Salau of Alliance for Democracy (AD).
In the same manner, Mr Femi Fani-Kayode Director of Media and Publicity forPDP Presidential Campaign Organization at a conference kicked against the card readers alleging that the opposition had plotted to use it to rig.
“Our position on the card reader remains that the machine has not been tested in any election.
“There are bases for genuine concern over the use of the machine, for the first time, in a crucial election of this magnitude.
“We are aware that the All Progressives Congress (APC), is working in cahoots with some strategically placed elements to use the card readers to frustrate accreditation in some parts of the country,” he said.
He, however, insisted on the deployment of soldiers in the forthcoming elections, as was done in the gubernatorial elections in Edo and Osun states, where the opposition won.
Fani-Kayode said that the PDP-led Federal Government had no intention of interfering with INEC’s activities.
“The PDP, having earned pass marks for overseeing the conduct of free and fair elections in the past, has no plans to compromise the coming elections,” he said.
He debunked allegations by the APC that the PDP had plans to further shift the forthcoming general elections and compromise the electoral process.
“The truth is that we are not strategising to shift the election dates. We are not trying to frame up Jega.
“We have no plans to plant any illegal substance in the bags of any of the leaders of the APC whenever they travel.”